RUNNERS-UP: JohnFeddeler and sammy4444

Go to page:

Lost gem ... WTF!?!

sammy4444
Fire of Insight
United States 5awards
Joined 25th Oct 2014
Forum Posts: 35

Thank you for the wonderful critique on my poems. It means a lot. Congratulations to Pishashee and the others. I look forward to participating in future competitions. This was a fun competition format.

HadesRising
Tyrant of Words
United States 34awards
Joined 8th June 2013
Forum Posts: 1617

Congrats, everyone. These were truly some Lost Gems here in the bowels of DU

Atakti
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 1st Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 3273

Well done Pishashee! Good idea for a comp, Lobo. Dusting off the hidden writes and dragging them to the light is a good exercise for any writer.

Congrats to runner-ups and thanks to the judges for their time and efforts.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

Okay ... Here's the deal - one of the judges couldn't get his scores in and sends his sincerest apologies for not meeting the deadline; but he did want his comments posted as a reference to the writers.  He didn't attach scores (10.0 scale ) but rather ranked his preferences 1 - 5.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soooo very late was my work that it's no longer relevant, but the artists who entered might still appreciate feedback all the same, even if it doesn't affect competitive standing...

My five are as follows

1. I'm done with poetry by reks24

I find it refreshing to read a rough piece in which an artist reaches past their boundaries. Sloppy grammar and hot verses together can come off as unpolished, or as fierce courtship with language herself, words dancing just out if reach.

Also, it's quite universal, that private moment we have with our muse. It's a very relatable yet inimitable jealousy to observe other artists just after you've discovered your own special link to the craft.

This piece was close to the heart without losing track.

2. Haiku II by Miss Chi

Haiku that delivers a strong impact from being direct to the reader is a good gut punch.

This felt like the other side of "I have never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself." Celebrating nature and simplicity while rebuking any naivete thereof is a surgical use of a few words.

3. Chance Encounter by JJJJr.

So I was able to re-read this several times, in a row, then spaced out and with each reading it felt crisp and new.

The first stanza from the first two lines starts close in, tight action shot, then tilts the view down, to pan out and set a scene. Second stanza does the same with just as fast energy. The dynamic focus brought a graphic novel scene to life, and added an element of motion. I'm partial to art that makes me feel movement. (Or maybe I'm just partial to skaters, being a long boarder myself.)

The element of surprise detonates all the sexual tension built up, which then rebuilds again, bringing the piece full circle. Also, the veery last line left so much in a pregnant pause as to be a palpable gap. Hunger is good.

4. Gypsy Mirror by John Feddeler

This piece opens like a fairy tale... Easy pace to follow..

Then by the 4th and 5th stanza it picks up tempo, longer lines, running faster. Feeling more modern, fervent, unapologetic about dysfunction.

Some measure of redemption is found in the innocence. No restraint, but self imposed boundaries, or just a sacred devotion is revealed.

By the end the fairy tale and pace return, the piece feels resolved. This one resonates, between fantasy and fear.

5. Just Friends by gardenlover

Because just damn. To explore the topic of sex, starting with the brunt of blunt, then taking the reader to a higher place, stirring and escalatinf even while nullifying the carnal aspect is psychological magic.

A lot of the comfort expressed in the relationship the author has with their words here reflected the relationship between the two characters as well.

This was also vastly re-readable for its wise content, in context delivered without preaching.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

Just a bump for anyone who missed late posted comments

Chiyo
Miss Chi
Tyrant of Words
Germany 19awards
Joined 20th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 891

Loved those lost gems :-). Congrats to you, Pish, and to all the other poets! And thanks to you, LSP, for the accurate and transparent voting :-)! It was a pleasure to participate herein!

Go to page:
Go to: